Main function of the job
As a sales engineer, you will combine technical knowledge with sales skills to achieve sales targets and build strong territory presence and pipeline, developing the Research market for Company products.
Key tasks and duties
- Generate, qualify and manage all sales leads, prospects and new customer accounts to meet/exceed agreed team and individual sales objectives.
- Identify new markets and customers.
- Strengthen existing customer relationships and develop new business relationships within the defined territory. Complete customer contact maps highlighting critical contacts in multiple functions.
- Determine and action sales strategies and goals for each product and service. Manage designated sales leads, prospects and customer accounts in a manner incumbent with agreed business objectives. Develop an annual Territory Plan to structure the year’s key business activities and objectives. Follow-up all sales opportunities (Direct and indirect) on a timely basis. Capture and document all pertinent information in the Company CRM tool, Sales Logix.
- Manage Key Account relationships and annual frame/blanket orders for annual consumption of repeat business orders. This will include attention to Terms and Conditions of these orders, pricing negotiation, and obtaining regular forecasts from Annual Order customers to monitor their consumption pace. Provide forecast data in support of company Sales & Operations Planning.
- Coordinate efforts to determine specifications for customized products as required by customer needs. Work closely with Company engineering and product management resources to ensure best solution for customers at best profitability. Evaluate product and service offering in terms of customers technical needs and manufacturing. Provide answers to technical and commercial queries from customers.
- Maintain and report sales forecasts, potential sales, customer feedback and activity plan and other reports, as required.
- Provide training to end users. Demonstrate equipment to customers as required to facilitate the sale of products.
- Establish and maintain strong industry contacts that support both industry knowledge and lead to sales. Continually compile market information/intelligence on dedicated regions with a view to providing market feedback to assist in the shaping of future product development and company strategy.
- Work with regional staff, HQ, and other internal operations to establish a communication path with customer.
- Attend weekly sales web meetings and offer feedback and suggestions to improve product solutions. Attend annual sales meetings. Represent and promote Company in a professional manner at trade fairs and conferences within the designated region.
- Travel as required to meet and develop sales targets which is expected to be a minimum of 50% of time.
- Any other duties as may be reasonably required from time to time by your Line Manager
Training and Education:
Essential: Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in a science, engineering or business discipline.
Desirable: Educational experience with spectroscopy or life science optical instrumentation.
Minimum 2 years’ experience in a senior field sales role. Minimum 4 years sales experience.
Experience in selling or supporting technical and high-value products.
Strong background in business development, including relationship building, contract and terms review, complete customer interaction with multiple departments and functions
Research sales experience.
Sales experience in both Spectroscopy and Life Science markets.
Proven success in key account relationship management
Behavioural Skills and Competencies
Results-oriented, able to work on own initiative.
Able to build good business relationships across a wide variety of cultures, functions, and personalities.
Strong technical knowledge and ability to communicate technical information in concise and understandable manner.
Takes ownership of customer problems and issues, works to resolve them and see them through to resolution.
Establishes relationships with customers and strengthens this through clarity and competence.
Is flexible, does “the right thing” and spends time understanding and meeting customer needs.
Applies relevant knowledge of current customers to grow the business.
Travel minimum of 50% of working time expected
Able to work outside core hours when required
Able to work from a home office with disciplined work ethic