The Network Engineer will play a lead role in the design, planning, implementation and support of the network infrastructure deployed.
The responsibilities will be for various layers in the network including the transmission, switching and routing, access networks (PON and Active Ethernet) as well as some of the key POP infrastructure which includes Border Network Gateways, Firewalls and Border Routers.
To achieve this, the successful candidate must keep abreast of the latest networking, telecommunications equipment, and standards developments.
The position is technically challenging and is very much a hands-on role.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Being a switching and routing subject matter expert
- Troubleshooting issues related to the network infrastructure, hardware, and applications
- Liaising with network service providers, and circuit and equipment providers regarding maintenance and fault issues
- Planning and designing – preparing requirement design document that clearly specifies requirements to suppliers
- Acceptance of the Fibre and optical infrastructure for new projects and documentation handed over by suppliers
- Planning and liaising regarding network upgrades, with respect to network management platform and elements
- Supporting the development, management, and configuration of network operational monitoring tools
- Setting up, implementing, and reviewing operational procedures to be used by the NOC Engineers and Reflex service desk staff
- Assisting with escalations as requested by the Reflex service desk, network engineers or management
- Providing technical support and guidance to network engineers and field operations staff
- Providing internal training for the network engineers and other staff as required
- Undertaking the expert technical support role on procurement panels related to networking in the various areas, Optical, Core & Access Layers.
- Participating in the development and introduction of advanced services for the network, which involves research and conducting tests to determine what will add value to the network community
- Contributing to capacity planning and the development of processes to streamline this function
- Performing ongoing analysis of network and service resilience
- Collaborating with other groups within Reflex, most notably the network planning and project group and the strategic technologies division
- Keeping abreast of developments within relevant standards bodies (e.g., IETF, ITU-T OIF and TMF)
- Preparing and maintaining documentation is required
Experience and qualifications:
- University Degree or related subject would be an advantage
- Relevant certifications required:
- JNCIP and/or CCNP
- JNCIE and/or CCIE certificate will be adventurous
- Be familiar with working on technologies such as:
- Perl/Python scripting would be an advantage
- Demonstrable experience with a proven track record working in a networking engineering environment, in an intermediate to a senior engineering role
- minimum 5 years’ experience as an intermediate to senior engineer
- Advanced knowledge of layer 2 and layer 3 technologies, such as spanning tree, ring protection, EVPN, MPLS, RSVP, LDP, PPPoE Servers, IPoE Server, TR069, 802.1x, VPN technologies.
- NMS Network Monitoring Solutions; eg PRTG
- Experience in the operations and maintenance of Metro/National Long Distance networks
- Working knowledge and experience in Wide Area Networks and network planning
- Working knowledge of layer 2 switches and layer 3 routing networks
- Technical proficiency balanced with a desire and aptitude to plan, coordinate and project manage
- Experience in Carrier Grade Ethernet, IP, and any scripting languages used in an operations environment (advantage)
- Experience in Access Technologies (xPON, Active Ethernet)
- Experience in working with optical transmission equipment (advantage)
- The use of optical test equipment and interpretation of its results (advantage)
- Travel requirements: the level of travel required will vary from time to time. The network service operates 24 hours a day, seven days a week. The senior engineer must be prepared to be available from time to time outside office hours.
- Be proficient in office applications (Microsoft Word, Excel, Powerpoint), Google Earth