The Business Development Manager (BDM) is responsible to develop new business and new business opportunities in assigned market segments and/or geographical territory. As segment champion, the BDM is focused on developing value-based solutions by working closely with targeted segment accounts to fully identify segment needs. The BDM works to assess and analyze the gaps between those segment needs and existing business capabilities, developing a plan to close the gaps based on their ranking and prioritization. To best manage plan priorities, the BDM must be able to objectively observe and accurately anticipate the needs and initiatives of the targeted segments. Additional responsibilities include management of all sales activities within the assigned market segment and/or geographical territory. The position is responsible for developing and delivering annual sales growth of Company products and services in compliance with the strategic plan.
SKILLS & ABILITIES
Education: Bachelor’s Degree (four-year college or technical school), Field of Study: Engineering: Preferred
Experience: 5 plus years of proven experience with Capital equipment (Sales of rotating equipment; pumps, vacuum pumps, blowers and systems) Required
Computer Skills: Proficiency in Microsoft Office, Lotus notes and CRM systems
Certifications & Licenses:
Relevant market experience and expertise related to the fine vacuum field. Five or more years experience in Business Development or related sales experience. Five or more years experience related to vacuum equipment.
Maintain a current and valid driver’s license throughout employment that meets Company standards
Other Requirements: Strong understanding of the vacuum industry, its markets, customers, products, dynamics, competition and influential players. Analytical and financial justification knowledge and skills. Strong presentation skills. Proven ability to execute a plan. Ability to influence others.
Essential Functions Statement(s)
• Conduct market studies and situational analysis to identify customer types, market needs, roadblocks, competition, pricing and global position.
• Develop a mutually beneficial business partnership with each target that is focused on providing a value-based solution that addresses their specific need(s).
• Work with the target account(s) to better understand the capabilities required to support the solution, identifying the gaps in the business between met and unmet needs of the segment.
• Manage a gap analysis process to rank and prioritize the gaps, with proper documentation and financials (cost, benefit, risk, timing, etc.).
• Working with Project Management, champion a cross-functional project team that is tasked with closing the gaps.
• Develop the Marketing & Sales Strategy for the targeted market including necessary sales tools, product documentation, pricing and promotion strategy.
• Manages an assigned sales territory to:
• Maintain existing business levels;
• Develop new business for products and service(s);
• Provide for annual sales growth of Company products & service(s).
• Works with all internal departments in support of sales opportunities
• Develops long term relationships with end user and OEM accounts individual, and in support of the sales channel(s).
• Maintains account profiles for specified Top Tier accounts
• Maintains a CRM database.
• Develops a yearly target account list for the assigned sales territory.
• Maintains company records & files
• Maintain, in good working order and physical condition, a company vehicle and all other company equipment
• Utilize expense account with prudent judgement.
• Accuracy – Ability to perform work accurately and thoroughly.
• Accountability – Ability to accept responsibility and account for his/her actions
• Business Acumen – Ability to grasp and understand business concepts and issues.
• Communication, Oral – Ability to communicate effectively with others using the spoken word.
• Communication, Written – Ability to communicate in writing clearly and concisely.
• Customer Oriented – Ability to take care of the customers’ needs while following company procedures.
• Ethical – Ability to demonstrate conduct conforming to a set of values and accepted standards.
• Honesty / Integrity – Ability to be truthful and be seen as credible in the workplace.
• Organized – Possessing the trait of being organized or following a systematic method of performing a task.
• Planning – Ability to organize, manage and champion a development plan to completion.
• Self-Motivated – Ability to be internally inspired to perform a task to the best of one’s ability using her own drive or initiative.
• Presentation Skills – Ability to effectively present information publicly.
• Persistence – Ability to complete tasks or continue in a course of action despite opposition or discouragement.
• Sales Ability – Ability to use appropriate interpersonal styles and communication methods to gain acceptance of a product, service, or idea