Primary Purpose of Job
Sales related activities
- Specific sales support for Tier 2 customer base with an emphasis on pro-active customer support duties.
- Process development for customer applications and reporting of results as required.
- Live demonstrations of sample processing to prospective customers at COMPANY and/or non-COMPANY demo lab facility.
- Provision of reports describing evaluation of process recipes, limitations on their application and process performance specifications.
- Definition of appropriate hardware configuration for each process recipe.
- Technical discussions with prospective customers in relation to process specifications and appropriate hardware configuration.
- Develop familiarity with process control equipment, e.g. laser end-point detectors, mass spectrometers, optical emission spectrometers, plasma impedance monitors.
- Ability to effectively deliver Process Training Courses.
Manufacturing related activities
- Installation of customer specific processes on systems and testing compliance with agreed process specification (“process transfer”).
- Coordinate with Sales department and customer (as required) during process transfer.
- Expected to coordinate aspects of the process as it relates to the customer’s process wafer flow.
- Interface with customer representatives during pre-shipment acceptance visit.
- Assistance with identification and rectification of hardware faults as relates to customer and/or demo systems
- Improvement in procedures and specifications related to the delivery of quality equipment to the customer.
- Continuous improvement of existing recipes with keen focus on exceeding customer requirements.
On-site process support for end-users (field support)
- On-site attendance at end-user facility could be up to a duration of three (3) months in some cases.
- On-site attendance at end-user facility to verify tool process performance to specification after installation (Process Acceptance).
- On-site attendance at end-user site to provide process development support for new applications.
- Coordination of on-site progress review meetings during process acceptance or process development visits.
- Active reporting to Applications Manager during on-site visits.
- Remote process support for service engineers/customers as needed.
- Cooperation with internal COMPANY groups to resolve manufacturing issues, reliability issues impacting process performance and on-site operational issues.
- Contribution to project teams set up to address specific engineering activities and improvement plans.
- Co-operation with R+D groups to develop and verify process/ product improvements.
- An Applications Engineer is expected to pro-actively summarize progress, highlight problems, and propose solutions to the Applications Manager.
- An Applications Engineer is expected to manage and organize written work, within the framework of procedures/work instructions, and with the aim of being an effective team member.
Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level in a relevant science or engineering discipline.
- Experience in a high technology environment with knowledge of clean room procedures and analytical instrumentation.
- Experience of dealing with customers and finds gratification in assisting the customer.
- Experience of report writing / progress presentations on a routine and frequent basis.
- Knowledge of Office programs and data analysis packages.
- Hands-on experience of process engineering.
- Modern familiarity with production facilities and understanding of general MEMS and/or semiconductor manufacturing flows.
Key Behavioral Competencies
- Able to communicate effectively with all levels within the Company.
- Flexible and highly motivated with a “hands on”, “can do” approach.
- Able to work as part of a small team or in an unsupervised role with generally tight deadlines.
- Works well under tight scheduling issues.
- Able to carry out relevant project work in a multi-tasked manner.
- Able to effectively mentor other team members as required.
- May be required to work away from home at specific customer site(s) or abroad for extended periods at time (several weeks, for example) on short notice.